- Long-term micrometeorology at 5 intensive meteorological tower sites – high quality, continuous atmospheric measurements of motion, energy content and radiation
- Development of the eddy covariance technique and turbulence data post processing (data quality control, correction for low-pass filtering effects in tubes, development of commercial sensor designs and software.
- 3D biophysical modeling of radiative transfer and canopy photosynthesis in forests and agroforestry systems.
- Deposition of atmospheric trace substances to terrestrial ecosystems
- CO2 and H2O gas exchange with the atmosphere (leaves, soil, ecosystem)
- Ecosystem Carbon budgets and their components
- Nitrogen deposition and cycling in forests.
- Dynamic ecosystem modeling (MixForSvat, COUP, Biome-BGC) and model intercomparisons (a number of models from European modeling groups)
- Regional greenhouse gas balances
Industrial Ecology(teaching at DTU)
- Environmental sustainability concepts for industrial systems from local to global scales
- Material and energy flows in industrial and natural ecosystems
- Life cycle assessment
- Ecological network analysis for eco industrial parks
Interdisciplinary, cross cultural research
- Effects of land-use and land-use change in tropical rain forest margins in Indonesia
- Prediction of climate change impacts on natural resources at local scales